first_imgRoy Hodgson hailed Frank Lampard and Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick following England’s victory against Italy.Both players missed this summer’s European Championship because of injury and underlined how much they were missed by producing impressive displays in the 2-1 win.“We deserved victory over 90 minutes and there were some very good performances,” said England boss Hodgson.“When you miss players like Lampard and Carrick because they are not available you are maybe going to regret it because of the quality they bring.”There was also an England debut for Chelsea full-back Ryan Bertrand, who came on as a second-half substitute.“There were a lot of players looking to make an impression ahead of the qualifiers and I’m happy with the way they played,” Hodgson added.“It is the qualifiers that really count but it is nice to know that we have a deeper squad than the one we took to the Euros.”See also:Lampard keen to discuss new Blues deal Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

first_imgVacaville >> PGA Teaching Professional Ron Kuwata, from The Links at Rolling Hills in Corning, was recognized with the 2017 Northern California PGA Patriot Award recently. The Patriot Award is presented to PGA Professionals who personify patriotism and demonstrate unwavering commitment and dedication to those who have valiantly served and protected the United States, according to a press release issued by the NCPGA. Kuwata has dedicated much time and effort into working with area veterans via …last_img read more

first_img27 February 2013South African Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan, delivering his 2013 Budget Speech in Parliament in Cape Town on Wednesday, proposed an employment tax incentive for young, first-time workers which will use a new graduated formula and replace the contested youth wage subsidy proposal made in last year’s Budget.Delivering his 2013 Budget Speech in Parliament in Cape Town on Wednesday, Gordhan also revealed plans for several tax incentives for the country’s Special Economic Zones (SEZs).The Budget Review says youth employment incentive, which will amount to R500-million in tax relief once implemented, will operate using a graduated tax incentive at the entry-level wage, falling to zero when earnings reach the personal income tax threshold.Protection provided by existing labour legislation, combined with oversight by the South African Revenue Service (Sars) and the Department of Labour, will ensure that employers don’t replace older workers in favour of first-time workers just to take advantage of the tax incentive.Incentives for Special Economic ZonesA similar tax incentive will be made available to eligible workers of all ages within the country’s Special Economic Zones (SEZs). This will allow employers to make a tax deduction for employing workers earning less than R60 000 a year.The Budget Review also contains a proposal that businesses based in SEZs be subject to a 15% corporate tax rate, almost half that of South Africa’s current corporate tax rate of 28%.Added to this, an accelerated depreciation for buildings in these areas, based on the existing tax regime for urban development zones, will encourage SEZ developers to invest more in industrial premises.The DTI released its draft Special Economic Zones Policy and Bill during 2012 and invited the country’s nine provinces to submit proposals for the establishment of Special Economic Zones.Last week, Limpopo Premier Cassel Mathale announced that the DTI was set to partner with the Limpopo government to establish two SEZs in the province, one focusing on logistics and coal beneficiation, the other on platinum beneficiation.Source: SAnews.gov.zalast_img read more

first_imgplayersFrom Lalit K JhaWashington, May 3 (PTI) Two top Democratic lawmakers today urged a top sports body to change its discriminatory policy against Sikh players that requires them to remove their turbans during a game.The appeal by Congressmen Joe Crowley and Ami Bera comes ahead of the International Basketball Federations (FIBA) long-awaited decision on the discriminatory policy requiring players to remove articles of faith, such as turbans, during a game.FIBA is expected to announce its decision this week after many years of campaign led by Crowley and Bera on behalf of athletes who wear articles of faith.”People throughout the US and around the world know that athletics, including basketball, are a way of bringing people together. Children and youth of many different faiths and backgrounds have long met on the playground to exercise and compete while building camaraderie, resilience, and friendship,” the two lawmakers said in a letter to FIBA.”As you know, Sikhs and others have participated successfully in basketball competitions here in the United States, including NCAA players at the college level. Sikhs and others have also participated in Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) matches without any problems,” Crowley and Bera wrote.After nearly three years of review, Crowley and Bera exuded confidence that FIBA will see the wisdom in the reversal of its existing policy, and ensure that basketball will continue to be the unifying sport it is intended to be.FIBAs discriminatory policy came to light in 2014 when two Sikh players were told by referees that they must remove their turbans if they were to play in FIBAs Asia Cup.advertisementThe players, who had always played in turbans, were told that they were in violation of one of FIBAs official rules, which states, “Players shall not wear equipment (objects) that may cause injury to other players”.However, there is no evidence that a Sikh turban poses a threat to cause injury, and other sports leagues, such as FIFA and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), allow athletes wearing turbans to participate. PTI LKJ UZMlast_img read more

first_imgWilly Caballero will perhaps be always remembered as the initiator of the disaster that struck Argentina at the 2018 FIFA World Cup.On Thursday, it was all alright for Argentina till Caballero sent shockwaves through his whole team and the entire Argentinean support system with his attempted chip.And then it all fell apart!Argentina lost the match by a massive margin of 3-0, suffered their heaviest group stage defeat in a World Cup in 60 years and were already staring at their first group stage exit since 2002.2018 FIFA WORLD CUP: FULL COVERAGEThroughout the first half of the match, Argentina and Croatia both played the ball around, created chances in each others’ half and it all looked well poised for the second half.It was the second half that turned the story upside down.FIFA WORLD CUP: FIXTURES | POINTS TABLEIn the 53rd minute, Willy Caballero attempted to trick a striker with a chip. He got a backpass and under pressure from Ante Rebic, Caballero made a mess of it. He attempted to chip the ball over the head of Rebic towards his defender. All that happened though, was that the ball kindly floated towards the Croatian and to his credit, he executed a fabulous half-volley.MATCH REPORT | HIGHLIGHTS | PHOTOSAs the Croatians went into a frenzy, Caballero could only hold his head in absolute embarrassment. Argentina players and Messi stood rooted and the fans, all they could was stare at their keeper.Also read – World Cup 2018: Argentina left in tears as Croatia create historyadvertisementCaballero was deemed the architect of Argentina’s downfall. Loris Karius’ Champions League nightmare came into the picture again. Perhaps everyone was missing the injured Sergio Romero now. Social media was tearing apart Caballero.Also read – Argentina slammed on Twitter after embarrassing defeat to CroatiaThere is still a game left and Argentina have everything to play for and most definitely, it will be Caballero again under the sticks. There are nerves already running through.Willy Caballero tonight…#ARGCRO pic.twitter.com/RM36Yxet9v??442oons?? (@442oons) June 21, 2018Good heavens, Caballero has had an absolute shocker. Poor bugger.Gary Lineker (@GaryLineker) June 21, 2018Messi when he sees Caballero in the locker room ???? pic.twitter.com/NxaZUUhVyJMi12on?? (@miltonthegr8) June 22, 2018Caballero or myself in goal would be the same thing”.- Mourinho after Argentina and Iceland.??????pic.twitter.com/NKOxliO9I6? Yübbîe Umoh ? (@Yubbie007) June 22, 2018Caballeros mistake totally changed the match ????Mladen Markovic (@MladenLfc) June 22, 2018So Caballero did really pass the ball to Rebic to score yesterday? How is that guy a professional goalkeeper?AJ (@aj_aaronic) June 22, 2018Can’t still get over Caballero’s assist. Xavi esque. Perfect. A little lower would have been too low and then forced a save, a little higher would have had Rebic over stretch. Perfect.Dido. (@nnamdinnani) June 22, 2018…and now am in Caballero’s body, it’s way less cool than being De Gea #WorldCup #ARGCRO pic.twitter.com/abTAVomWJsYOUNG the GIANT (@kiiru_gichora) June 22, 2018Told y’all Argentina wouldn’t qualify with Caballero between the posts ??Edwardicus (@TerrenceTanTing) June 22, 2018last_img read more

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Lawrenson can’t see Sheffield Utd stopping Liverpoolby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool legend Mark Lawrenson can’t see Sheffield United stopping the Reds.The Blades host Liverpool today.Writing in his weekly BBC Sport predictions column on, Lawro claimed United would be hard pushed to pick up the three points against the Reds, and stated: “The Blades got a great win over Everton at Goodison Park last time out, but it is asking a lot for them to beat Liverpool too.Offering his opinion on how the Blades could trouble the Reds at the back, the former Liverpool man contended: “I like Chris Wilder’s team a lot, but I don’t really see them causing the Reds many problems – apart from at set-pieces – or keeping them quiet at the other end.” last_img read more

first_imgLiverpool manager Klopp confirms Salah back for Genk; TAA, Matip outby Freddie Taylor3 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has confirmed Mohamed Salah will return to action against Genk on Wednesday.However, Joel Matip and Trent Alexander-Arnold (illness) will miss the trip to Belgium.Klopp told the club’s website: “It’s absolutely good to have him (Salah) back.”The squad is cool, it’s a good squad, everything is OK, but that’s all.”He added: “Trent is ill and Joel is not ready.”It is just a little thing which usually settles in the two weeks [Matip] had; it did, but then it came up after the United game and so now we just have to make sure this time it settles finally, that’s all. It is not a massive injury, it’s just a bit annoying for him and he cannot do it [face Genk].”Trent got ill overnight; hopefully he can recover quickly, but for tomorrow there was no chance.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

first_imgThe logo on Michigan’s football jerseys isn’t the only thing that’s changing regarding the Wolverines’ look heading into the 2016 season.Jim Harbaugh’s team also has different helmets.Michigan will still be sporting its “iconic” winged helmets, but they’re a bit different. The Wolverines’ helmets are now of the “matte” variety.The program’s equipment staff tweeted out a couple hi-res pictures of the helmets with the caption, “Still Iconic.” Michigan@HailEquipment Michigan@HailEquipmentWhat do you think, Michigan fans?More Photos Of The Wolverines’ New Uniforms Belowlast_img read more

first_imgMumbai: In a clear indication of lack of support from the lenders on further funding, Jet Airways chief executive Vinay Dube has said it is painful that there is no commitment on the part of the all stakeholders on paying salaries to the employees which are due in a few days. The now grounded airline has not paid March salaries to its over 20,000 employees. Jet ceased operations on April 17. April salary is due in a few days. The airline suspended operations after the SBI-led consortium of lenders rejected its demand for a Rs 983-crore lifeline to help carry out operations and pay to the employees their March salaries. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscal”While we will continue to support the bank’s bid find a buyer or the airline, it pains us to communicate that no clarity or commitment on salaries has been provided by any of our stakeholders so far,” Dube said in a communication to employees Friday. Significantly, on Friday the employees had planned to take out a peace walk towards the venue of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s election rally in the BKC are here, but was cancelled at the last minute on request from the police and the state government. Also Read – Food grain output seen at 140.57 mt in current fiscal on monsoon boost”While on the one hand, we are being told to preserve the value of Jet Airways during the bid process, on the other hand, with no salary payment, some of our colleague have no choice but to find employment elsewhere. “When we highlight the disappointing irony of this situation to the lenders, we are simply told that this problem is to be addressed by the shareholders, who should and could have agreed on a resolution plan a long time ago,” Dube lamented in the letter. He also said though there have been many board meeting, the promoters and strategic shareholder (Etihad) there was no favourable outcome on funding and paying salaries so far. “We have also approached government at the highest levels seeking intervention and assistance but that too has not yielded any positive results,” he added. Dube also said in the past few days the leadership team is trying to convince the lenders to release some funds to the employees, while continuing to support the bank led bid sale process. “We have told them repeatedly that our employees are facing grave hardships owing to non-payment of salaries and that if this were to continue any longer, our employees will have no option but to find employment elsewhere. “Unfortunately, the banks have said they are unable to make any salary commitments, until after the bidding process is complete,” he said.last_img read more