…says additional training for financial analysts to boost capacityThe Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU), even prior to a formal Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), had been able to establish a relationship with a number of stakeholder agencies that have been sharing information with the entity.FIU DirectorMatthew LangevineThis is according to the FIU Director, Matthew Langevine, who in a recent interview with Guyana Times stated that the mandate of the Unit is to facilitate the detection, prevention and deterrence of money laundering, and financing of terrorist activity in Guyana and to date, it has been successful in this regard.“We have been doing very well in terms of executing our mandate, receiving information, analysing information, putting out intelligence reports. Also, in completing guidelines so that the competent authorities and other reporting entities will ensure that they are following the requirements of a good and effective Anti-Money Laundering/Countering the Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT) programme. In 2018, we have had outreaches throughout the country, a number of training sessions, and the developing staff within the FIU,” Langevine said.He explained that the FIU’s financial analysts over the past year have benefitted from significant additional training which will improve their effectiveness in conducting and completing intelligence reports.“We have been doing a number of things to improve the effectiveness of not only the FIU but the AML/CFT regime as a whole,” he added.It is expected that the recent inking of MoUs with several agencies and the upcoming signings of such that the regulatory framework stipulated within the agreements will better equip the FIU and enhance the performance of the Unit which will ultimately lead to successful prosecutions and convictions.The FIU of Guyana is an autonomous body responsible for requesting, receiving, analysing and disseminating suspicious transaction reports and other information relating to money laundering, terrorist financing or the proceeds of crime. It was established and operates within the ambit of the Anti-Money Laundering and Countering the Financing of Terrorism Act (AMLCFTA) 2009 and its Regulations.The Act authorises the FIU to request and receive information from any reporting entity, any supervisory agency and any law enforcement agency or any other competent authority in Guyana.The FIU compiles reports for competent and law enforcement authorities if there are reasonable grounds to suspect that transactions involve money laundering, proceeds of crime or terrorist financing.It also extends legal assistance to foreign jurisdictions with respect to production orders, property tracking, monitoring, and forfeiture or confiscation orders.Earlier this month it was reported that the FIU has submitted its annual report to the Finance Ministry, as the Unit has revealed that financial crimes involving over $8 billion worth of illicit money were reported to it for the 2018 fiscal year.
The Northern Rockies Regional Municipality has rescinded the evacuation order for the Penn West Wildly Plant near the Petitot River Fire.The area still remains under an evacuation alert and residents of the plant/camp should be prepared to evacuate if the forest fire moves towards the plant. The fire is located approximately 110 km northeast of Fort Nelson. The fire is currently 4,100 hectares in size, but rain over night has lead to lowered fire activity. This fire is currently a modified response fire and is being actively monitored and but not actively suppressed.The Evacuation Alert issued June 28, 2015 at 1530 HRS remains in effect for the area bounded by the longitude 120 50.0’W to 121 15.0’W; the Petitot River to the north and the pipeline to the south. A map from the June 28 Evacuation Alert showing the geographical area is attached and the affected area is outlined in black.For more information, contact the Northern Rockies Regional Municipality at 250-774-2541.- Advertisement –
0Shares0000Harambee Stars captain and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Victor Wanyama on Tuesday paid a courtesy call to former Prime Minister Raila Odinga. Photo/COURTESYNAIROBI, Kenya, June 19 – National Super Alliance (NASA) leader Raila Odinga has challenged Harambee stars to ensure they qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup that will be hosted in Qatar.Odinga, who was speaking on Tuesday morning when hosting Harambee Stars captain and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Victor Wanyama at his office, said Kenya has immense talent in soccer compared to other African countries. “I m very happy and proud of him (Victor Wanyama), he came to pay me a courtesy call so we have been talking about soccer generally. We like what he is doing which is to encouraging our other young aspiring soccer players to rise to the heights that he has risen,” the former Prime Minister said. @VictorWanyama of @SpursOfficial called on me at Capitol Hill sq. I urged him to mentor other young Kenyans to follow his footsteps and lift the standards of football in the country. pic.twitter.com/MY8taG5ld4— Raila Odinga (@RailaOdinga) June 19, 2018“Sky is the limit for our youth but as a country we need to do more promotions. I don’t believe there is better talent in other African coteries that in Kenya. We have seen what other countries have been able to achieve now Kenyans are just spectators when some of the best players are on show in Russia for the World Cup,” Raila stated.Raila said Kenya has immense talent and has what it takes to qualify for 2022 World Cup. Photo/COURTESYRaila added that, “a player like Victor (Wanyama) should not be here, he should have been in Moscow, Russia playing but unfortunately Kenya is not there. I want to see this as a challenge and ensure that the next World Cup in Qatar Kenyan team will be there playing,” he challenged.Wanyama, who is in the country after the conclusion of the season that saw his English Premier League side Tottenham finish third and qualify for next summer’s UEFA Champions League, advised upcoming footballers to maintain discipline.“I’m happy to visit the Hon Raila, he is a football fan, we hear him talk about football and he gives us advice and we follow. He is someone who knows football well. My advice to young players is not to give up, be discipline keep working hard because with discipline you will go far, talent is nothing without discipline,” Wanyama advised.Former Prime Minister Raila Odinga presented Victor Wanyama Joe Kadenge’s book. Photo/COURTESYWanyama presented an autographed Tottenham Hotspur jersey to Raila and in turn the former Prime Minister handed the midfield maestro legendary Joe Kadenge’s book.“I have also in turn given him (Wanyama) this book by one of the most celebrated soccer players, in this book Joe Kadenge has chronicled his life story and about history of Kenyan soccer from the 50s, 60s, 80s 90s up to today, I have written four words for this book. So I am giving this as a souvenir to Victor so that he can have opportunity when he has little time from training to read what has happen and the role of his father Noah Wanyama played in the Kenya soccer.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Monterrey went ahead on goals in the first eight minutes by Luis Perez and Reinaldo Navia. Veracruz rallied for a 3-2 victory over Pachuca in the first game of the Group A doubleheader. Oscar Rojas scored the winning goal in the 80th minute. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LA JOYA, Texas – Rafael Marquez’s second goal of the game, an 86th-minute penalty kick, lifted Morelia to a 2-2 draw with Monterrey in a Group A opener in the InterLiga at La Joya Stadium in this border city 65 miles northwest of Brownsville. Marquez also tallied in the 53rd minute as the Monarcas overcame a 2-0 first-half deficit to gain a point in the annual eight-team winter competition to determine Mexico’s final two entrants for Copa Libertadores, South America’s club championship. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan Clarkson Guadalajara and Necaxa won Group B openers Wednesday night in Houston. Chivas, playing its first game since former Chivas USA boss Hans Westerhoff’s return as coach, overcame three goals by UANL Tigres’ Aldo di Nigris – the first after just 48 seconds – for a wild 5-3 triumph at Reliant Stadium. Ramon Morales scored twice for Guadalajara. Necaxa beat Cruz Azul 1-0 on Alfredo Moreno’s 51st-minute goal.
A survey has revealed that there has been a 218% increase in the number of people across the county looking for social housing within he past two years.The numbers waiting for social housing in Donegal have increased by 1609 in the past two years according today’s Tirconail Tribune.Donegal County Council currently has a total of 2,970 applicants on their housing list and it is a stark reminder of the bad old times of thirty years ago when mobile homes dominated the landscape as young families faced a ten year wait for a house. The Mayor of Donegal, Cllr. Ian McGarvey says that housing is the biggest challenge facing the Council and funding is very scarce to tackle the problem.However he says that while there are 2970 on waiting lists this includes 932 who are in receipt of rental supplement.He also says that many of those waiting for a house are refusing offers being made by the Council and recently only one applicant out of twelve in Letterkenny offered accommodation by the Council accepted it.The increase of 218% is in line with the national trend that shows a 13% increase in social housing waiting lists and the situation is expected to get worse. Cash strapped Councils across Ireland are battling to retain existing essential services and here in Donegal, the last Council meeting heard that unless they cut back by €3.3 million immediately the local authority would effectively cease to exist.Among the areas targeted for cuts are Roads, Machinery & RDO of the order of €0-9m to €1.2m; Housing Capital €0.05m to €0.1m; Housing & Corporate €0.1m to 0.2m; Community, Culture & Planning €0.1m to €0.2m;MASSIVE 200% INCREASE IN PEOPLE WAITING FOR SOCIAL HOUSING IN DONEGAL was last modified: August 8th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Donegal County Councilincreasesocial housingwaiting list
Rory Kavanagh with baby Zoe: Pic Joanne GillenDONEGAL footballer Rory Kavanagh is the proudest dad in the county – after his wife Kathryn gave birth to beautiful baby Zoe.The St Eunan’s club man is seen here beaming with pride with the new arrival.And what a beautiful little girl she is….in the arms of proud Auntie Alma.,PROUD DAD RORY KAVANAGH SHOWS OFF HIS NEW-BORN DAUGHTER ZOE was last modified: January 26th, 2014 by John2,Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window),baby daughterDonegal GAARory KavanaghSt EunansZoe
The late Maura PorterA WOMAN described as an ‘angel’ as she helped a family comfort their dying mother has spoken of the incident as “cruel”.Maura Porter was knocked down near her home in Carndonagh on December 30.It would be an hour and a half before she would get to hospital because it took an ambulance 50 minutes to reach her from Letterkenny, as Donegal Daily reported yesterday. Her son Brendan has highlighted the case “so that no other family has to suffer this.”Several people stopped to help Mrs Porter after she was knocked down.Two of them were couple Dessie and Colleen Kearney. Mr Kearney redirected traffic whilst Colleen helped placed her coat over Mrs Porter to keep her warm. Doctors and nurses also helped as Brendan, his sister and their dad tried to comfort Maura.“What happened at the scene was the most agonising and cruel thing I’ve ever witnessed in my life,” said Colleen. “Lay people at the scene, and off duty doctors did their uptmost to help in the best way that they could and to give Mrs Porter the best support they could.“However, the prompt response of emergency medical care which was paramount, did not come when needed most. The people assiting were crying in sheer desperation as time went on. Every minute seemed like an hour.“I am someone who just happened to come on the scene. I did not even personally know Mrs Porter, but I am left reeling in anger at how someone’s human life can be treated with such disregard by not having prompt medical response at the time its needed most.”Colleen added: “I have been shocked and traumatised by what happened. Not because of the accident or assisting Mrs Porter, but because of witnessing such an agonsising and distressing wait. The response was nothing short of a shambles.“I hope all relevant authorities take note of this situation and vow to ensure that this never happens to anyone ever again. “Nobody knows when they, their mother, father, sister brother etc could be at the mercy of needing emergency ambulance medical care.“To say this wasn’t good enough is the biggest understatement ever.”The Porter family has praised those who stopped at the scene to help them describing them as “guardian angels” who helped so much through the traumatic experience.* How we reported the story yesterday: https://www.donegaldaily.com/2014/01/05/family-of-accident-victim-demand-answers-after-ambulance-takes-50-minutes-to-arrive/THE DEATH OF MAURA PORTER: EYE-WITNESS SPEAKS OF THE “CRUEL” WAIT FOR AN AMBULANCE was last modified: January 6th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:CarndonaghChurchtownfatal accidentMaura Porter
Gardaí are warning owners of Ford Transit Vans to beware of a scam which is being led by an organised crime gang.The criminal group is involved in the international sale and distribution of stolen machinery and vehicle engines and parts. Their latest move is to target owners of Ford Transit vans.The scam works as follows: Adverts are placed on popular online sales sites offering to repair or replace the engines of Ford Transit Vans. The advert offers to collect the van from any part of the country, carry out repairs or if necessary, replace the engine with a reconditioned one and once repaired to return it to the owner.In reality what happens is that once the scammer has the van, an engine stolen in Ireland or the UK is fitted to the van and the owner is told it’s a re-conditioned one.As a result, some owners after paying out for repairs to their van have subsequently had their vans seized by Gardaí for investigations which causes them further loss.Gardaí from the Roscommon / Longford Division are advising owners of all vehicles and particularly the owners of Ford Transit vans to be very wary responding to such adverts whether online or offline offering engine replacement on a collect and return basis. A spokesperson said: “You are taking a big risk giving your van to a stranger who collects it from your door and takes it away for repairs to an unknown location, if you are a victim, this scam will have cost you money and your van will be seized by Gardai”.The advice from gardaí is that you should only allow a qualified mechanic in a garage that you know to repair your car or van.Warning over scam targetting Ford Transit Van owners was last modified: August 20th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
CLICK HERE if you are having a problem viewing the photos on a mobile deviceSANTA CLARA – No need to tell the 49ers how menacing a pass rusher Justin Houston can be.Houston played a pivotal role in the biggest play of the 49ers’ 2018 season, a play in which Jimmy Garoppolo sustained a season-ending knee injury as he fled Houston’s pass rush at Kansas City in Week 3.The Chiefs released Houston on Sunday, making the eight-year veteran immediately available for the 49ers or others to start …