first_img Next Dinesh Karthik shuts down ‘silly’ allegation levelled against him by S SreesanthS Sreesanth’s cricketing career took an ugly turn when he was accused of spot-fixing during the 2013 IPL, following which he was banned for life. He recently blamed Dinesh Karthik for his ouster from the national team.advertisement Indo-Asian News Service New DelhiOctober 22, 2019UPDATED: October 22, 2019 20:18 IST Dinesh Karthik has been out of favour since being dropped from the Indian team after the 2019 World Cup (AP photo)HIGHLIGHTSSreesanth recently blamed Dinesh Karthik for his ouster from the Indian teamKarthik said that it will be ‘silly’ to even react to Sreesanth’s allegation against himSreesanth’s life ban for spot-fixing in 2013 IPL was reduced to 7 years by the BCCI Ombudsman in AugustDinesh Karthik has hit back at controversial cricketer S Sreesanth, who had cause a stir a few days back when he blamed the stumper for his ouster from the national cricket team.Sreesanth was banned for life by the BCCI in August 2013 along with his Rajasthan Royals teammates Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan for indulging in spot-fixing in the IPL. Sreesanth has hwoever, always denied the allegations and had said he is innocent.Sreesanth’s career took an ugly turn when he was accused of spot-fixing during the 2013 IPL, following which he was banned for life. Last month S. Sreesanth’s ban was cut short to another seven months.Karthik has now responded to the allegations levelled by the Kerala pacer and said that it will be ‘silly’ to even react.”Yes, I have heard about S. Sreesanth’s comments that I was responsible for his ouster from the Indian team. Even to react to an allegation like that will be silly,” Karthik was quoted as saying by The Hindu.Karthik meanwhile, is currently focussing on making a comeback in the Indian T20 side and eyeing a role in the squad as a finisher.”It’s [The T20 World Cup] a year away but if I feel I can keep performing and have a good [domestic] tournament, I’m sure I will go out there and play,” Karthik, 34, told ESPNcricinfo ahead of the Vijay Hazare knockouts. “Because, I feel it’s a key part that the Indian team is looking out as well – closing out matches and have someone who can understand those situations and do the best at that point of time.advertisement”And I feel I’ve done that in the short time I’d played T20s [for India]. But, post the World Cup, I didn’t play; they clubbed it [poor run at the World Cup] with the T20 part of it and removed me from the team as well. But I feel that I’m well-suited to play that role Dhoni has played for so many years now. I feel I can do something like that and I’ve been doing that for KKR and Tamil Nadu. So, if a slot opens up there, that’s something I’ll be really looking forward to. The T20 World Cup is definitely something I’d want to play,” he said.Karthik has been out of favour after being dropped from the national team for the umpteenth time in his career after India’s heartbreaking semifinal defeat against New Zealand in the World Cup 2019. In the two innings that he played in the World Cup, Karthik returned with scores of 8 and 6.Also Read | S Sreesanth discloses why he hates Chennai Super KingsAlso Read | Dinesh Karthik eyes Team India return with MS Dhoni-like finishing roleFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byrohan sen Tags :Follow Dinesh KarthikFollow S Sreesanthlast_img read more

TORONTO – Rogers Communications Inc. said Thursday its third-quarter profit declined more than 28% as the telecom and media company pushed ahead with changes intended to improve its long-term performance.The Toronto-based cable and wireless company, which also owns one of Canada’s largest media businesses, reported $332 million of net income, or 64 cents per share — down from $464 million, or 90 cents per share.Adjusted profits were equal to 78 cents per share, which was six cents below analyst estimates compiled by Thomson Reuters. Revenue increased 1% to $3.25 billion, coming within analyst expectations.Shares of the company dropped 2%, or 87 cents, to $42.56 in morning trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange.Rogers has been working on a multi-year plan to improve its results, including a reorganization of its operations under the leadership of chief executive Guy Laurence, who said the third quarter results are where the company expected.The company — which has a national wireless network, regional cable operations in Ontario and Atlantic Canada, and major broadcast, print and digital media operations — is reaffirming its guidance for 2014 but says its adjusted operating profit and free cash flow will likely be at the lower end of the range.Within the results, wireless revenue grew 2% to $1.88 billion, as the company added 17,000 new postpaid subscribers, a smaller amount than last year.Cable revenue slipped one% to $864 million as the company lost 30,000 TV subscribers and faced more pricing competition.Rogers breaking CRTC rules with exclusive features in NHL sports app, says Bell TVNetflix Inc, Rogers Communications Inc team up for Canadian-produced drama series ‘Between’Rogers taps Cisco’s president to head enterprise unit as telecom restructuring continuesThe media division, which houses Rogers’ print and digital publications, TV and radio stations, and the Toronto Blue Jays, reported flat revenues of $440 million.Laurence, a former Vodafone UK CEO who joined the company last December, told analysts Thursday that Rogers has reduced layers of its management and cut the number of executives ranked vice president and above by 15%.“It is not a trivial exercise but it is now complete,” he said.Rogers — which has Canada’s largest base of mobile phone subscribers and one of the country’s largest cable and Internet operations — has been losing market share to long-time rivals Bell, owned by BCE Inc., and Telus.Earlier this week, Bell’s parent company filed an application with the broadcast regulator that included concerns over Rogers new NHL GamePlus mobile app, which offers multiple camera angles that users can interact with through the software.Bell told the CRTC that it believes the app violates certain regulatory rules that require content created for broadcasters to be made available to all competitors. The company said the app should be made available for free to all NHL GameCentre Live subscribers, not just Rogers customers.Rogers has said the features, which include cameras mounted on referee’s helmet, were created for an interactive platform and wouldn’t have been developed solely for TV broadcasts — therefore are exempt under the rules. The company has until Nov. 20 to respond formally to the complaint.“They are complaining and trying to stifle innovation in hockey instead of actually applauding it, which is what we see from pretty much everybody else,” Laurence told analysts.“Obviously we don’t believe that we have transgressed any rules, and we will continue to focus on delivering innovation for consumers, and not fighting little petty fights such as this. I don’t think they will win. Let’s see.”Laurence also told analysts he is “not seeking to get a lot of revenue” from the Game Centre Live app, but considers the product akin to a business-class upgrade for airlines, where coach customers have the option to upgrade for a price. read more