first_img Moyes, who has been in charge for the past 11 years, is out of contract in the summer but does not intend to make a decision on a new deal until the end of the season. Chairman Bill Kenwright admitted this week that is not ideal for the club but he respects the Scot’s wishes and hopes a new contract can be signed after the last game. Moyes said: “As I have said, we will conclude that at the end of the season. What I am trying to do is make sure I give Everton the best chance of going forward. I wouldn’t want it any other way.” Press Association Everton boss David Moyes insists he will not destabilise the club despite wanting to make sure conditions are right before committing his future to Goodison Park.center_img Kenwright added that he has already rebuffed enquiries about a potential vacancy, saying there is no other man he wants, but if Moyes was to leave he would do so “with his head held high”. Moyes wants to make sure he will have the wherewithal to revamp his squad to prevent stagnation but is pleased to hear Kenwright’s complimentary remarks. Moyes, speaking at a press conference to preview this weekend’s clash with Stoke, said: “I am delighted, from the chairman especially. Being at Everton is something I would be really happy with. But we have been talking for a long time now, three or four months and everyone nudges along a little bit further every time we speak. “I would never do anything, in any way, to jeopardise Everton or the football club. I want to make sure the supporters see a promising, fresh-looking team for the seasons to come. “We have to make sure the finances we have give us the opportunity to do that. “We have a small squad, and in truth we have an ageing squad as well, which we need to look at. I need to be capable of being able to make those changes for the best of Everton. “We are well aware of where we are at this moment in time. I have always said that where we finish, what we do at the end of the season – that will be a better time for us to make a decision than just now.” last_img read more

first_imgMargot Scharfe skated past two exhausted Lindenwood defenders to penetrate the Lions’ defensive zone in another bid for a game-winning goal.The Syracuse forward spotted an open Nicole Ferrara near the net and fed her the puck. And the freshman forward slapped it past Lindenwood goaltender Taylor Fairchild for the overtime game-winner on Saturday.‘I skated around right in front of the net in between the hash marks, and Margot made a nice pass to me,’ Ferrara said. ‘I tried to shoot it low on the ice, like coach taught us.’ Ferrara’s goal sealed back-to-back wins for SU, as they defeated Lindenwood 2-1 in front of 212 at Tennity Ice Pavilion to complete the sweep. Led by its freshmen, Syracuse (8-10-0) also dominated the Lions (1-16) 6-2 in front of 123 on Friday. Although SU head coach Paul Flanagan said earlier this week that his team was hovering a bit below his expectations, the Orange players proved their determination to reach the .500 percentage mark.Facing a struggling Lindenwood team, Flanagan decided to switch up the lines to give some of the younger players more ice time. With 17 underclassmen on the current roster, SU needed to prepare its youth for the rigorous conference schedule that lay ahead.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textAnd Flanagan picked the perfect time to start.The Orange received strong efforts from Ferrara, Shiann Darkangelo and Jordyn Burns as SU easily cruised by, outshooting Lindenwood 45-15 on Friday.After SU strung together three goals in a 2:10 span to break open a scoreless game in the second period, Darkangelo delivered another blow 10 minutes later. Off a pass from Burns across the net, the freshman buried the puck past Fairchild to give the Orange a lead it wouldn’t surrender.Under the direction of experienced players like senior captain Megan Skelly and junior forward Jessica Sorensen, SU’s younger members are gaining confidence as they continue to contribute. The team’s chemistry is starting to improve, and that means a smarter, hungrier offensive attack. ‘We switched up our lines recently, so it was good to get different combinations out there and get a lot of shots that we haven’t been taking the last couple of games,’ Skelly said. ‘Going into the dressing room, everyone feels like they are part of the team. It’s a collective group effort.’Flanagan said he was particularly impressed with the adjustments the younger players made during the course of the weekend, especially their ability to understand how to effectively cycle and pass the puck. The Orange played solid fundamental hockey and generated plenty of scoring opportunities as a result.But SU struggled to capitalize on its chances Saturday, and Fairchild made 44 saves in regulation for the Lions as she fended off an assault of shots by the Orange forwards. SU’s missed chances created frustration for its players and allowed Lindenwood to gain momentum down the stretch.‘They did a really good job of negating anything we were trying to do,’ Flanagan said. ‘You get a little frustrated sometimes and make mental mistakes, and that’s exactly what we did.’And Ferrara ended that frustration with her game-winning goal Saturday.In the days leading up to SU’s matchup against Lindenwood, SU assistant coach Graham Thomas jokingly urged Ferrara to score her first goal of the season.‘They just tease me, so it’s funny,’ Ferrara said. ‘It actually gets me pumped up to hear my name, so I go out there and try to score.’Ferrara responded. After being promoted to the top line in practice this past week, Ferrara scored the winning goal in overtime fashion, giving the Orange consecutive victories for the first time in more than a month. Her late-game magic provided a breath of relief for SU, as Ferrara notched the game-winning score, her first goal of the season. Ferrara’s goal marked an impressive performance by the SU freshman and provided a boost of morale for the team heading into conference play.‘It’s a huge shot of confidence for the (freshmen) to be able to bury a few goals and get that monkey off their back,’ Flanagan said. ‘It just makes you feel better about yourself as an athlete.’ Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on December 4, 2011 at 12:00 pmcenter_img Commentslast_img read more

first_img Published on March 13, 2019 at 10:22 pm Contact Eric: | @esblack34 Facebook Twitter Google+ Toeing the eight-meter arc, Meaghan Tyrrell swung her stick around in a small circle. She took a deep breath, and when the whistle blew, sprinted in toward the goal in a free-position opportunity. Her shot, a lefty overhand attempt, found the back of the net. With eight seconds left, she gave Syracuse a 14-13 advantage. She threw her stick down and jumped into Megan Carney’s arms. After blowing a handful of leads throughout the game, SU earned a one-point advantage with eight seconds left, and never lost it.It took them more than 59 minutes to clinch it, but No. 4 Syracuse (7-2, 1-1 Atlantic Coast) eventually came away with a 14-13 victory over Florida (3-4) on Wednesday night in Gainesville, Florida. The Orange jumped out to a six-goal advantage in the first half and never trailed after the opening minute, but failed to ever pull away from the Gators. Five different players scored two or more goals for SU, paced by four first-half goals by Emily Hawryschuk. Kassidy Bresnahan put Florida on the board first, scoring just over a minute into the game. But for the next 20 minutes, Syracuse dominated the Gators. Just past the 26-minute mark, Sam Swart tied the game off a pass from Hawryschuk after she cut through the middle of the field. She was followed by Vanessa Costantino, who scored unassisted to give the Orange the lead. From then on, Hawryschuk took over. The junior scored after receiving a screen from Tyrrell and faking a pass to the freshman as she rolled. Then, the two teamed up again during a 3-player motion. Tyrrell shuffled the ball to Hawryschuk who finished to put SU up 4-1. After Swart’s second goal of the game came on a free position shot it was Hawryschuk again, off a slick pass from Nicole Levy, who earned a free position opportunity of her own. Mary Rahal added to Syracuse’s advantage 38 seconds later, when she dodged through three separate Gators defenders and scored on an overhand shot to give SU a 7-1 lead, prompting a Gators timeout.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textWhile Florida was getting torched on defense, it became flustered on offense as well. For most of the contest, Grace Fahey face-guarded Lindsey Ronbeck, who came into Wednesday’s game with 26 goals, tied with Hawryschuk for ninth in the country. Fahey held her scoreless through the first 16 minutes. Asa Goldstock, meanwhile, saved five of the first six shots she faced.But following that timeout, the Gators appeared more composed. They scored out of the break and were promptly answered by Hawryschuk’s fourth of the game. But then they went on a run. It began on a free position from the left side of the goal and was followed by Ronbeck’s first score of the game, also off a free position attempt.Florida stretched its run to four-straight after a third free position score and a goal on a slow bounce shot to Goldstock’s right. While Rahal tallied the last goal of the half after taking the ball from midfield to score herself, Syracuse clung to just a 9-6 lead heading into the break.Natalie Wallon looked poised to score the first goal of the second half early on, but when her free position shot was stopped, the Gators immediately turned the save into a goal. Cara Trombetta cleared the ball, taking it upfield before finding Grace Haus, who cut SU’s lead to two.While Ronbeck scored soon after off a won draw, Levy quickly doubled the gap off an underhand shot minutes later. The ensuing five minutes saw an uptick in chances for Florida, who was stifled by Goldstock until Ronbeck found an opening in the Syracuse zone and scored with 16:31 left. After a Hawryschuk shot attempt ricocheted off the goalpost, the Gators converted on the other end off a goal from Shannon Kavanaugh, who also scored from the middle of the zone.The goal knotted the game at 10, the first time the teams were tied since the opening minute of the game. The goal pushed Florida’s run to 9-3 since SU had gone up six goals. The teams then alternated goals, with Syracuse scoring two and the Gators one, before the Orange finally regained their two-goal advantage. The insurance came via the stick of Levy, whose second goal came of the game with 5:11 left and pushed the score to 13-11.But just like they’d done all game, the Gators came back. Ronbeck scored twice in a row, including the game-tying goal with 44 seconds left in the game. Morgan Widner won the ensuing draw for Syracuse, who called a timeout six seconds later. Wallon pushed the ball upfield and passed the ball to Tyrrell, who was fouled in inside. That set up the game-winner, the first of her career.Syracuse is back in action on Sunday, when it travels to Lousiville for its third ACC game of the season. Last year, the Orange defeated the Cardinals 19-8 in their regular-season finale.center_img Commentslast_img read more